[Prepare for what's next] - What does "essential business travel" mean for your organization? — TripActions Community

[Prepare for what's next] - What does "essential business travel" mean for your organization?

Aurelie_KrauAurelie_Krau admin
edited April 2020 in Travel Manager Tips

I've been listening to numerous conversations involving travel managers/travel buyers over the past weeks. One of the first points that come up when talking about business travel resuming -beyond health and safety recommendations, obviously- is: "we are considering to resume with essential travel".

However, I reckon essential business travel may resonate differently for each corporation. Are we talking about travel that contributes to driving growth for the company? About executives back on the road? About something else?

Isn't it essentially about understanding what the most critical reasons for travel are to your business? The latter will differ -and I'd suggest the criteria metrics should be a topic of discussion within corporations.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• This is a good question that we are trying to address too. Some managers might think the travel is essential while others may not. I wish I had a definitive answer.

• Aurelie_KrauAurelie_Krau admin
    edited April 2020

Absolutely @rluck - this differs for each organization. For example, have you started to talk this through in your company? Do you have a good visibility on the reasons of traveling in your company? Did you engage with the Executive team? With travelers and ask them the question? With other business units sending travelers on the road for business?

• Aurelie_KrauAurelie_Krau admin
    edited April 2020

We're helping companies move beyond "essential travel only" into "permissible travel" mode. I thought the community might be interested to read how and what our team suggests.

In our view, you will need to assess the equation: Company Confidence x Traveler Confidence x Government Permission = Permissible Travel.

I hope that helps @rluck