What will happen to your loyalty status and points/miles while you’re stuck at home?
Many hotels and airlines have been quick to release updates to their loyalty programs, and there are likely many more changes to come as this global health crisis evolves. Here are a few of the hotel and airline suppliers to note:
- Marriott - For those in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, elite status will be extended to February 2021. Points will be extended for people of this region as well.
- Hilton - For those in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, membership tiers will be maintained until March 31, 2021. Membership status due to expire in 2021 will be extended to 2022. Points will remain valid through the end of this year.
- IHG - For those living in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan with Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spite Elite, status will be extended to December 31, 2021. Elite membership status qualifications for people from any region have been reduced by 25%. Points will remain valid through the end of this year.
- Hyatt - For those living in the Asian-Pacific region, elite membership will be extended a year (2021 if due to expire this year and 2022 if due to expire next year). Club access and awards will be extended through May 31, 2021. Hyatt is also considering providing extensions to those who frequently travel to the Asian-Pacific region but are not based there.
- Accor - All Live Limitless member status for those living in China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan will receive an extension to December 31, 2021. Points will be redeemable through January 31, 2022.
- Best Western - All members can maintain their current status through January 31, 2022 (regardless of tier or region). Those who were downgraded at the end of 2019 will be bumped up a level as well.
- Shangri-La - All Golden Circle memberships for people around the world are being extended through December 31, 2021.
- Preferred Hotels and Resorts - Elite membership status will be extended through June 30, 2021 (regardless of region), and points will not expire until August 31 of this year.
- United - No change to their Premier program, although they are extending their current MileagePlus 2020 Premier Status Match Challenge promotion an additional 30 days.
- American Airlines - No change
- Delta - No change
- Southwest - No change
- Lufthansa - No change
- British Airways - Canceled flights to China, Hong Kong and Italy that would acquire or retain status will earn points. A 6 month extension is being offered for Companion Vouchers or Gold Update Vouchers.
- Air France-KLM - No change
- Emirates - Platinum, Gold and Silver status requirements have been reduced by 20% between March 31 and June 30, and Skyward members traveling between March 1 and June 30 will receive 20% bonus Tier Miles.
- Cathay Pacific - Relief points are being offered to Marco Polo members. The point relief is based on membership tier. They are also providing a 6 month extension on lounge access, upgrades and companion cards.
Here is another comprehensive list of the different loyalty status changes due to coronavirus.