How To Work With Your Remote Boss
Whether you are working from home for the first time or you’ve been remote for years (such as myself), learning to manage your relationship with your manager from a remote office is your key to work-from-home (WFH) success.
How To Work With Your Remote Boss:
- Set Expectations: I highly recommend clarifying what your schedule should look like as you work from home. What hours will your manager be online? When does your manager expect you to be online? Having clear expectations avoids any confusion and allows you to release any “WFH guilt” as your home will now be your office.
- Communicate: With Zoom video conferencing, Gmail and Slack, it’s easier than ever to stay connected. Make sure you have a weekly call scheduled with your manager to determine your priorities for the week.
- Build Trust: Need to take your dog to the vet at 4pm? Ask permission. Although you may not be in the office, it’s very important to communicate your whereabouts during work hours.
- Schedule Breaks: Working from home often leads to working more than usual. There is always more work to do, but better to schedule breaks than burn-out. Pro-Tip: I add notes to my calendar such as “10 minute coffee break” or “SoulCycle” so my manager has visibility into my schedule.
- Be Positive: Navigating a remote relationship with your manager (especially if new to WFH) can take a minute to adjust into protocol and scheduling that works for both of you. Stay positive and remember you are navigating these changes as a team. Build your best WFH life together.
What are your best practices for working with a remote boss?