WFH : : Zoom like a pro — TripActions Community

WFH : : Zoom like a pro

I've been working from home on a consistent basis now for more than a year, so my familiarity with hopping on and off zoom calls is reaching final boss levels. One thing that I've done recently is level up my camera quality, and it's made a huge difference.

As a preface, one thing you'll need is a camera that can plug into your computer via usb or hdmi, I have a Canon DSLR, and I also have some video lighting, but that's not necessary. The camera is the real bar raiser here.

You can follow the steps in this article to mimic this set up:

https://www.video-stitch.com/how-to-use-dslr-as-webcam/

but there are tons more articles out there to walk you though the steps. here's an example of the difference it can make

Taken from MacBook Pro webcam:

And here it is from my DSLR:

Any one else have ideas for up leveling either work from home setups?

Comments

• @Aaron Emery this is great. any tips on how to nudge coworkers to notice your camera quality when the Zoom call looks like The Brady Bunch?

• gmartingmartin ✭✭

Aaron how do you plug your SLR into your computer and actively make it a camera? USB?

• @sarahr oh, 100%! There are a ton, but the easiest way would be to write a post about increasing camera quality on some type of public forum 😉

In all honesty, this is really best for smaller calls. Don't waste the battery when the thumbnail is the size of a postage stamp.

• @gmartin yeah, i use usb. You could also go with a mini-hdmi to hdmi. And then the software you can add will siphon the feed.