How are airlines and hotels (and travelers) changing their loyalty strategies this year? — TripActions Community

How are airlines and hotels (and travelers) changing their loyalty strategies this year?

I've been keeping an eye on how loyalty programs in the travel industry are adapting to current demand; with many frequent travelers taking it easy this month, it may be hard for them to qualify for the typical loyalty programs and tiers that they're used to.

Several hotel chains and a few airlines are starting to adapt.

British Airways just announced that it's cutting elite tiers by 30%.

Finnair has extended its elite status by 6 months.

Qantas and V Australia have extended elite status by 12.

Both Best Western and Hilton Hotels are extending status by 12 months.

I typically fly and am loyal to American Airlines, and I'm not sure what to do in the face of the current situation. How about you? Are you changing your loyalty strategy this year?

Comments

• I fly Delta - have you seen anything from them on this yet?

• @Ryan Schwartz Delta has extended the use of its upgrades and a few other instruments, but it hasn't formally extended its loyalty program yet. Right now, many in the loyalty industry expect the big three legacies to wait for the pandemic to cool down before they roll out incentives. But most expect something to happen.

• This is really great info, @gmartin -- thanks for sharing this update! Please let me know when you hear from United.

• amilneamilne
    edited April 2020

I just received United's update that their loyalty thresholds have dropped by 50% and statuses (up to 1K) will be extended to January 31,  2022!