10 Tips to Share with Your Business Travelers When Traveling Internationally

Having recently been stuck in a foreign country while traveling internationally, I thought I'd share a few tips to make sure your employees stay safe while traveling abroad:

1. Check for travel warnings/advisories
  2. Make sure to register with STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program): https://step.state.gov/.  It makes it easier for the State Department to contact and help you in the event of an emergency.
  3. Write down the addresses and phone numbers of any American embassies or consulates in the destinations you’ll be visiting, in case you need to contact them.
  4. Call your bank and credit card providers to let them know where you’ll be.
  5. Get all the necessary gear for your electronics. Electrical outlets are different all over the world, so you’ll need to have adapters that allow your devices to plug into foreign sockets. 
  6. Make photocopies of your passport in case you lose your real one.  Make copies of all your travel documents. In this digital age, it is very convenient (and eco-friendly) to only have digital copies of these documents handy. That’s fine, but be sure that these items are saved to your device locally so that you can access them without an Internet connection. 
  7. Get vaccinated and stock up on medicine.  You should have a minimum of 2 weeks of extra meds in case you get stuck.
  8. Write down the addresses and phone numbers of any American embassies or consulates in the destinations you’ll be visiting, in case you need to contact them.
  9. List emergency contact names of both your company and the phone and email of where you’re staying locally in case someone needs to get a hold of you.
  10. Learn key phrases in the local language. If you don’t feel comfortable with your language abilities, then cheat and print out a document with relevant phrases or make flashcards that you can carry with you.

Comments

• Thanks for sharing these fantastic insights! @KimMaiTai

• Thank you so much for sharing- these insights are so important for anyone who's going to be abroad. Any crisis or global emergency don't usually give any warning, so it's necessary to be fully prepared for all situations at any time when you're going to be traveling.

• All great ideas - thanks for sharing @KimMaiTai

• Number 4 hits home for me. I forgot to alert my banks once and it was a big headache to sort through during the trip.

For longer trips, it's also worth looking up your banks policies around pulling cash from international ATMs. Some have extremely high fees compared to others!